When would you need a let property insurance quote?

Article by Richard Burgess

There are perhaps three situations under which you may decide to search for a let property insurance quote:

• you have just purchased a buy to let property and are looking for an appropriate let property insurance quote;

• you are currently an owner-occupier of a property but have decided to start renting it out in full or part (in which case, any existing owner-occupier insurance you have will become invalid and it will be necessary to seek what may be called landlord insurance or let property insurance cover etc);

• you are an existing landlord with buy to let insurance cover but wish to check whether or not your existing cover is still offering a cost-effective and appropriate solution in the current insurance marketplace.

Inevitably, when thinking about a let property insurance quote, price will figure high up on your list of priorities. Inevitable as that may be, it may be worth guarding against trying to interpret your landlord insurance quotation entirely upon price alone.

Different policies provided different levels of cover and it is typically a good idea to first and foremost evaluate the quotation in terms of its suitability for your needs.

Reading a policy’s cover for the first time, only in the event of a claim, is not advisable!

As a general rule, though there may be exceptions, a typical landlords’ insurance quotation (the terms landlords insurance, let property insurance and buy to let insurance, are typically used interchangeably) will provide cover information relating to:

• the structure of your property, typically including its fixtures and fittings (though it may be worth noting that these days not all policies offer subsidence cover as standard);

• its contents (e.g. furniture);

• your exposure to being sued by your tenants under the third party liability claims – though note, this will typically not include legal disputes relating to eviction formalities or the recovery of rent arrears etc.

Some landlords’ insurance policies may provide additional elements of cover relating to things such as:

• a loss of rental income, if this arises due to an insured risk;

• malicious damage caused by your tenants;

• trace and access cover (these cover some of the costs that you may incur if you have a tradesperson dismantling elements of your property while trying to find the source of a problem);

• potentially higher risk tenants (some insurance policies may not cover certain categories of tenants including DSS tenants and students etc).

All of these things should typically be highlighted within your let property insurance quote. If they are not, it may be highly advisable to read the supporting policy documentation prior to deciding whether or not the quotation is one that you wish to progress with.

About the Author

Richard Burgess is Director of cover4letproperty (http://www.cover4letproperty.co.uk) a dedicated UK landlord insurance broker. Their easy to use site and friendly staff will get you multiple quotes from specialist insurers for landlord insurance at a competitive price.

Find More Property Insurance Articles

Leave a Reply